Cowboy Casserole – This Cowboy Casserole recipe is the perfect meal for busy weeknights or when you need a quick and easy dinner that the whole family will love. Packed with delicious flavors and textures, this casserole is made with ground beef, creamy mushroom soup, corn, crispy bacon, and tater tots all baked to perfection in a cheesy, golden crust. Whether you’re looking for comfort food or a crowd-pleaser for your next gathering, this Cowboy Casserole is sure to satisfy your cravings and impress your guests.
This Cowboy Casserole has quickly become a family favorite in our household. My husband, who is a true meat and potatoes kind of guy, absolutely loves this recipe and always goes back for seconds (and sometimes even thirds!). It’s a dish that reminds him of his childhood and brings back fond memories of his family’s hearty meals. For me, the best part of this recipe is how easy it is to make. As a busy mom, I appreciate any recipe that can be thrown together quickly and easily, yet still delivers big on flavor. I love how this casserole can be customized to your liking, whether you want to add extra veggies or swap out the ground beef for ground turkey or chicken. It’s a versatile dish that can be adapted to suit any taste or dietary needs.
Why This Cowboy Casserole Recipe is a Must-Try?
- It’s a one-pan meal that’s easy to prepare and requires minimal clean-up.
- The combination of ground beef, corn, mushroom soup, and bacon creates a rich and savory flavor profile that’s hard to resist.
- The addition of tater tots adds a crispy and satisfying texture to the casserole.
- This recipe can be easily customized by adding your favorite veggies or using different types of meat.
- It’s a budget-friendly meal that can feed a crowd without breaking the bank.
- 226g (1/2 lb.) ground beef (85/15)
- 150g (1 cup) corn
- 158g (2/3 cup) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 113g (1 cup) cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 80ml (1/3 cup) whole milk
- 60ml (1/4 cup) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 113g (1/2 cup) bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 907g (32 oz.) tater tots
Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
In a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat until browned.
Add corn, cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup of cheese, milk, sour cream, onion powder, black pepper, and bacon to the skillet and mix well.
In a 9×13-inch baking dish, layer the beef mixture, followed by a layer of cheese, and finally, line up the tater tots on top.
Bake the casserole uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown and crispy.
Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve hot and enjoy!
- This recipe can easily be customized to your preferences by adding or substituting different ingredients.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- For a lighter version of this recipe, try using ground turkey instead of beef and reduced-fat cheese and sour cream.
Cowboy Casserole is a classic American dish that is sure to satisfy your cravings. With its delicious combination of ground beef, corn, bacon, and tater tots, all smothered in a creamy and cheesy sauce, this casserole is the ultimate comfort food. It’s perfect for busy weeknights, feeding a crowd, or just enjoying a cozy meal with your family. Plus, the recipe is easy to follow and doesn’t require many ingredients, making it a great option for beginner cooks. So why not give Cowboy Casserole a try? It’s sure to become a favorite in your household, just like it has in mine!
Can I use a different type of meat?
Yes, this recipe can be made with ground turkey or chicken instead of beef.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the casserole up until the point of baking and then refrigerate it for up to 24 hours before baking.
Can I freeze this recipe?
Yes, you can freeze the casserole before or after baking. To freeze before baking, assemble the casserole as instructed and then cover it tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. To freeze after baking, allow the casserole to cool completely, then wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. When ready to reheat, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight and then bake according to the original instructions.
Can I substitute the cream of mushroom soup?
Yes, you can substitute the cream of mushroom soup with cream of chicken or cream of celery soup, or use a homemade mushroom soup instead.
- 226 g 1/2 lb. ground beef (85/15)
- 150 g 1 cup corn
- 158 g 2/3 cup condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 113 g 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 80 ml 1/3 cup whole milk
- 60 ml 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 113 g 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 907 g 32 oz. tater tots
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat until browned.
- Add corn, cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup of cheese, milk, sour cream, onion powder, black pepper, and bacon to the skillet and mix well.
- In a 9x13-inch baking dish, layer the beef mixture, followed by a layer of cheese, and finally, line up the tater tots on top.
- Bake the casserole uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown and crispy.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot and enjoy!