Filled with cheese, potato chunks, and pieces of crispy sausage. This cheesy and hearty soup is excellent to serve for lunch or dinner.
A rich and super hearty soup that sticks to your bone. A warming soup perfect on cold days.
What You Need To Make This Potato Kielbasa Soup
- Garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Large carrots
- Chicken stock
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
How To Make Potato Kielbasa Soup
Step 1: In a Dutch oven or soup pot with olive oil, cook the sausage, stirring often. Set the sausage aside.
Step 2: Place the garlic in the now-empty pot along with the onions, carrots, and celery. Saute for about 2 minutes.
Step 3: To the pot, add the chicken stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then decrease the heat. Cover the pot and cook further until the potatoes are tender.
Step 4: Return the cooked sausage to the pot. Add the milk, cheddar cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix well and cook on low heat until the cheese melts.
How to prevent the cheese from clumping?
I suggest using a boxed grater and shredding the cheese yourself from a block of cheese. I would not recommend pre-shredded cheese you buy from grocery stores as they are usually coated and causes the cheese to clump.
Also, make sure to constantly stir the soup while adding the cheese.
Do not add the cheese all at once. Add it slowly. Adjust the heat up or down if you see cheese beginning to clump until it’s melting before adding more cheese.
CREAMY, HEARTY POTATO KIELBASA SOUP
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound kielbasa cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup finely sliced celery 2-3 stalks
- ½ cup finely diced yellow onion
- ½ cup peeled and finely diced 2 large carrots
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ pound potato cut into cubes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the olive oil on medium-high. Add the sausage once the oil is hot and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set the cooked sausage aside.
- Saute the garlic, onions, carrots, and celery in the now-empty pot for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the chicken stock along with the potatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil, then decrease the heat. Cover with the lid and cook for 15 minutes more until the potatoes are tender.
- Return the cooked sausage to the pot. Pour in the milk. Add the cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese. To taste, season with salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more on low heat to melt the cheese.
- Before serving, garnish the soup with parsley. Serve hot.