I am pretty sure that you’ll love this easy skillet sausage and zucchini! Enjoy the perfectly seasoned combination of sausage, onions, zucchini, and peppers in this 20-minute recipe! Plus, this is Whole30 compliant, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
This skillet dinner can stand on its own, but this is also great with traditional or cauliflower rice.
Simple, super delicious, and tastes just like a classic Italian sausage and peppers except you are getting some extra veggies.
Ingredients You Need To Make This Skillet Sausage And Zucchini
- Zucchini cubed
- Cooked sausages
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Bell pepper any color
- Onion powder
- Olive or avocado oil
- Garlic minced
How To Make Skillet Sausage and Zucchini
Step 1: Start by heating 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat.
Step 2: To the hot oil, cook the chopped sausage for a couple of minutes, flipping often until the slices of sausage have some browning. Keep the cooked sausage aside.
Step 3: Adjust the heat to medium. In the same skillet, add the rest of the 1 1/2 tbsp oil along with the zucchini, onion, and bell pepper. Sprinkle the veggies with oregano, garlic powder, basil, onion powder, pepper, and salt. Stir them well.
Step 4: Cook the veggies for about 5 minutes until the onion is clear and the peppers & zucchini are almost tender.
Step 5: Into the skillet, return the sausage. Stir in the garlic. Put the lid on and continue to cook for a couple of minutes more. As needed, season with extra salt to taste.
Can I use other varieties of cooked sausage in this recipe?
Absolutely! You are welcome to use your favorite cooked sausage. I prefer Applegate Chicken Sausage since it has a great ingredient list.
Can I use other veggies?
This recipe is designed to make the most of zucchini, but you are welcome to include other veggies. My top pick is yellow squash and green beans.
20 MINUTE SKILLET SAUSAGE AND ZUCCHINI
- 4 fully cooked sausages sliced into circles ¼-inch thick
- 1 onion cut into ¾ inch pieces (close to the same size as zucchini)
- 2 medium zucchini cubed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bell pepper of any color, cut into ¾-inch pieces (close to the same size as zucchini)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- fresh basil for garnish optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a skillet, drizzle 1 tbsp of oil and heat on medium-high.
- To the hot oil, add the chopped sausage. Cook for a couple of minutes, flipping the sausage occasionally until the sausage slices have some browning. Set aside when done.
- In the now-empty skillet on medium heat, add 1 1/2 tbsp of oil along with the zucchini, onion & bell pepper. On top, sprinkle the oregano, garlic powder, basil, onion powder, pepper, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cook the veggies for about 5 minutes until the onion is translucent and the peppers & zucchini are almost tender.
- To the skillet, return the cooked sausage. Toss in the minced garlic. Put the lid on for a couple of minutes. If needed, season with extra salt.