Tender and juicy chicken in a scrumptious creamy garlic sauce. This Creamy Mushroom Chicken recipe is a quick and easy skillet recipe excellent for busy weeknights. Throw this together in thirty minutes and enjoy a delicious dinner that your entire family will ask for over and over again!
I love serving these tender, and juicy pan-fried chicken breasts smothered in creamy garlic mushroom sauce with a side of potatoes, zucchini noodles, pasta, roasted veggies, or rice. For a low-carb dinner, this is also amazing paired with cauliflower rice! This has been my family’s favorite go-to easy weeknight meal. Very comforting that even the kids enjoy this!
Why do I love this chicken so much?
It is creamy good! This is a delightfully amazing, flavorful chicken dinner.
This is good for the body. In this recipe, light or fat-free cream cheese is used instead of heavy cream and high-fat milk products.
Easy and super quick! This takes no longer than thirty minutes to make, making this perfect for busy weeknights.
Ingredients You Need To Make This Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- Chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves, crushed
- Button mushrooms halved
- Chicken broth
- Cream cheese, light or fat-free
- Fresh chopped curly parsley
- Salt and pepper
How To Make Creamy Mushroom Chicken
Step 1: On medium-high heat in a pan with 1 tbsp olive oil, cook the chicken breast for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Set the chicken aside when done and tent to keep them warm.
Step 2: To make the creamy mushroom sauce, heat the rest of the oil. Toss in the mushrooms and cook until a little golden brown. Saute the garlic until aromatic. In the meantime, whisk the water and cornstarch. Stir this into the broth and season with salt and pepper. Cook further until the sauce begins to bubble. Next. whisk in the cream cheese until the sauce is smooth and has thickened.
Step 3: Place the chicken back into the pan, and spoon the hot sauce over the chicken.
Step 4: Serve the chicken warm garnished with some chopped parsley.
CAN I MAKE THIS KETO-FRIENDLY?
Yes! Simply use heavy cream or coconut milk instead of light cream cheese.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE OTHER VEGGIES?
The highlight of this dish is mushrooms. But you are welcome to use other veggies like broccoli, green beans, spinach, and zucchini.
CAN I FREEZE THIS CHICKEN MUSHROOM?
Absolutely! Place the chicken mushroom in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. I find it easier to store them in individual servings. Before serving, reheat in the microwave.
WHEN COOKING CHICKEN IN A SKILLET, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
It takes 4 to 5 minutes per side. When using chicken with bone in them, it will take a couple of minutes more. Cook the chicken over medium heat to prevent them from burning. Once the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken reaches 160 degrees F, the chicken is done.
HOW SHOULD CHICKEN BREAST BE COOKED HEALTHY?
For healthier chicken avoid deep frying them. Cook them on the grill, roast them, or bake the chicken. If pan-frying, make sure to use only a small amount of oil. Also, I suggest avoiding sugary marinades.
CREAMY MUSHROOM CHICKEN
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 1/4 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 oz. Light cream cheese softened
- 8 oz. button mushrooms halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped curly parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken to the pan and sear for about 5 minutes until both sides are golden brown. Set the chicken aside and cover it to keep them warm.
- Add the rest of the oil in the same skillet. Toss in the mushrooms and saute until slightly golden brown. Add the garlic and continue to cook until aromatic.
- In the meantime, whisk the cornstarch with 2 tbsp water. Once fully dissolved, stir this into the broth.
- To taste, season the sauce with salt and pepper and continue to cook until it begins to bubble. Then, add the cream cheese and stir well until smooth and thickened.
- Into the pan, return the chicken breast, and spoon the sauce on top.
- Before serving, garnish the chicken mushroom with some chopped parsley. Enjoy!