Looking for a comforting and delicious dinner that’s easy to make and won’t leave you with a mountain of dishes to clean? Look no further than this Stuffed Pepper Casserole! This recipe takes all the classic flavors of stuffed peppers and turns them inside out, resulting in a creamy, cheesy, one-pot wonder that’s perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it uses easily available ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry or fridge. And because it’s a one-pot recipe, you won’t have to worry about cleaning up a ton of dishes after dinner (which is always a win in our book).
To make this Stuffed Pepper Casserole, start by browning some ground beef with diced peppers, onions, oregano, salt, and pepper. Once the beef is cooked through and the veggies are tender, add some minced garlic and cook for another minute or so. Then add in some broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and a splash of balsamic vinegar, along with some uncooked white rice. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
Once the rice is cooked, stir in some shredded cheese (we like to use Colby Monterey Jack), then sprinkle some more cheese on top and cover the pot until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve your Stuffed Pepper Casserole with a sprinkle of fresh parsley, if you like.
A few tips to keep in mind: feel free to use any color bell peppers you like, and be sure to use regular uncooked rice (not instant). You can use either petite diced tomatoes or regular diced tomatoes in a can, and you can sub Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce for the balsamic vinegar if you prefer. And if you’re not a fan of Colby Monterey Jack cheese, feel free to use whatever type of cheese you like best.
We hope you enjoy this easy and delicious Stuffed Pepper Casserole recipe as much as we do!
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 medium-sized onion diced
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 cups of low-sodium beef broth
- 1 can 15 ounces of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can 8 ounces of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup of long grain white rice
- 1-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the lean ground beef over medium heat until browned.
- Add in the diced green and red bell peppers, onion, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the meat is fully cooked.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add in the beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Add in the white rice, stir to combine, and then cover with a lid. Reduce heat to low and let the mixture simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in one cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well until the cheese is fully melted.
- Sprinkle additional shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the mixture, cover the skillet with a lid, and let the cheese melt.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired and serve hot.
- This flavorful dish is perfect for a quick and easy dinner, and it’s packed with delicious and nutritious ingredients. It’s a great way to get your daily dose of protein and veggies, and the melted cheese on top adds a creamy and comforting touch. Enjoy!