Broccoli Salad with Sunflower Seeds & Cranberries – Indulge in the delightful combination of vibrant flavors and textures with our Broccoli Salad with Sunflower Seeds & Cranberries. This recipe is a true crowd-pleaser, featuring fresh broccoli florets, tangy cranberries, crunchy sunflower seeds, and a creamy dressing that ties it all together. Whether you’re hosting a potluck, enjoying a picnic, or simply craving a healthy and satisfying side dish, this salad is a must-try. Join me as I share the story of how this recipe has become a beloved staple in my own family.
In our household, this Broccoli Salad with Sunflower Seeds & Cranberries holds a special place in our hearts. It all started when I wanted to find a way to incorporate more veggies into our meals without compromising on taste. After experimenting with various combinations, I stumbled upon this recipe, and it was an instant hit with my husband and our little family. The first time I served it, the vibrant colors and enticing aroma caught their attention, and one bite was all it took to win them over. Since then, this salad has become a regular feature on our dining table, reminding us of the joy that comes from simple, delicious food that brings loved ones together.
Why This Salad is a Must-Try?
- Unique Flavor Medley: Our Broccoli Salad combines the earthiness of broccoli with the tartness of dried cranberries, creating a perfect balance of flavors that will leave your taste buds craving more.
- Crunchy Sunflower Seeds: The addition of roasted and salted sunflower seeds brings a delightful crunch to every bite, adding texture and depth to the salad.
- Creamy Dressing: The creamy dressing, made with a blend of mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, and a touch of sugar, provides a velvety coating that enhances the overall taste and brings all the ingredients together.
- Versatile Customizations: This recipe offers a range of substitutions and additions, allowing you to personalize the salad according to your preferences. Swap sour cream with plain Greek yogurt, cranberries with raisins or currants, and sunflower seeds with pine nuts, toasted walnuts, or toasted pecans. For an extra burst of flavor, experiment with shredded cheddar, goat cheese, feta, or crispy chopped bacon.
- 1 large head of broccoli (about 600g / 1.3 lb.)
- 80g / 2.8 oz. red onion, diced into small pieces
- 100g / 3.5 oz. dried cranberries
- 70g / 2.5 oz. roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 120ml / ½ cup mayonnaise
- 60ml / ¼ cup sour cream
- 30ml / 2 Tbsp. white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 15ml / 1 Tbsp. white sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, and sugar until well combined. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Cut the broccoli into small bite-size pieces and add them to the mixing bowl.
Add the diced red onion, dried cranberries, and roasted sunflower seeds to the bowl.
Toss all the ingredients together, ensuring they are well coated with the dressing.
Allow the salad to rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour or overnight, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- I personally prefer using fresh broccoli without blanching it first, but if you prefer blanched broccoli, you can quickly blanch it in salted boiling water for 60 seconds. Drain, rinse with cold water to cool, and dry it well before using.
- Feel free to make substitutions and additions to customize the salad. Greek yogurt can be used instead of sour cream, raisins or currants can replace cranberries, and pine nuts, toasted walnuts, or toasted pecans can be used in place of sunflower seeds. Additionally, you can enhance the salad by adding shredded cheddar, goat cheese, feta, or crispy chopped bacon.
In conclusion, our Broccoli Salad with Sunflower Seeds & Cranberries is a recipe that brings together the freshness of broccoli, the sweetness of cranberries, and the crunch of sunflower seeds in a harmonious blend. This vibrant salad is not only visually appealing but also bursting with flavors that will leave you craving more. The creamy dressing binds all the ingredients together, creating a delectable medley that is both satisfying and nutritious.
Whether you’re looking for a versatile side dish, a potluck favorite, or a healthy addition to your meals, this broccoli salad is a must-try. It has the potential to become a staple in your household, just as it has in mine. Gather your loved ones, embrace the joy of sharing good food, and create beautiful memories around this delicious salad.
So, don’t hesitate to give our Broccoli Salad with Sunflower Seeds & Cranberries a try. Experience the delightful combination of textures and flavors that will leave you wanting more. Enjoy the freshness of the broccoli, the sweetness of the cranberries, the crunch of the sunflower seeds, and the creaminess of the dressing. It’s a salad that will tantalize your taste buds and leave you feeling satisfied and nourished. Bon appétit!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can I keep the Broccoli Salad?
For the best texture, it is recommended to consume the broccoli salad within three days of making it. The flavors actually improve the day after making it, but after a few days, the sunflower seeds may become slightly mushy. As long as it has been refrigerated, it is still safe to eat. Just check the texture!
Can I make any substitutions for the dressing ingredients?
Absolutely! If you prefer a lighter option, you can substitute plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream. This will add a tangy twist to the dressing. Feel free to experiment and adjust the ratios according to your taste preferences.
What other toppings can I add to the salad?
There are numerous toppings you can add to elevate the flavors of the broccoli salad. Try incorporating thick shredded cheddar for a cheesy twist, or opt for the creamy tanginess of goat cheese or feta. For an extra burst of indulgence, crispy chopped bacon is a favorite in my family.
Broccoli Salad with Sunflower Seeds & Cranberries
- 1 large head of broccoli about 600g / 1.3 lb.
- 80 g / 2.8 oz. red onion diced into small pieces
- 100 g / 3.5 oz. dried cranberries
- 70 g / 2.5 oz. roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 120 ml / ½ cup mayonnaise
- 60 ml / ¼ cup sour cream
- 30 ml / 2 Tbsp. white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 15 ml / 1 Tbsp. white sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, and sugar until well combined. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cut the broccoli into small bite-size pieces and add them to the mixing bowl.
- Add the diced red onion, dried cranberries, and roasted sunflower seeds to the bowl.
- Toss all the ingredients together, ensuring they are well coated with the dressing.
- Allow the salad to rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour or overnight, allowing the flavors to meld together.