Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup – Indulge in the warm embrace of our Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup—a classic dish that combines wholesome ingredients and incredible flavors. This recipe will transport you to a world of comfort and satisfaction. The slow cooker method allows the split peas to tenderize, creating a velvety texture that melts in your mouth. Bursting with the savory goodness of ham, aromatic vegetables, and delicate spices, this soup is a must-try for anyone seeking a nourishing and delicious meal.
In our cozy little family, Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup has become an irresistible tradition—a delightful journey of flavors that warms our hearts. I vividly remember the first time my husband, Mark, took a sip of this soul-soothing soup. His eyes widened, and a smile spread across his face. It was as if he had rediscovered a long-lost treasure from his childhood. Since that day, this recipe has held a special place in our household, bringing us together around the dinner table and creating cherished memories. Now, it’s time for you to experience the joy and comfort of this extraordinary soup.
Why This Recipe Will Win Your Heart?
- Wholesome Ingredients: Our Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup is crafted with love using simple yet nourishing ingredients. The star of the show is the pound of dry split peas, renowned for their nutritional benefits and velvety texture when cooked. Combined with a meaty ham bone or diced ham, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and a hint of bay leaf, this recipe promises a symphony of flavors that will leave you craving for more.
- Incredible Convenience: The beauty of this recipe lies in the slow cooker, which does all the work for you. Simply gather the ingredients, toss them into the pot, and let the magic happen. Whether you choose the low-and-slow method (8-10 hours) or the faster route (4-5 hours on high), your home will be filled with the enticing aroma of this simmering delight, making your taste buds dance with anticipation.
- Versatile Flavors and Seasonings: We believe in the power of customization, and our Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup allows you to tailor the flavors to your liking. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, adjusting to your taste preferences, and let the ingredients mingle in the slow cooker to develop a harmonious balance. Each spoonful offers a burst of savory goodness that will tantalize your palate and make your taste buds sing.
- 1 pound (454 grams) dry split peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 meaty ham bone OR 2 cups (340 grams) diced ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6-8 cups (1.4-1.9 liters) chicken stock or water
In a 5-quart or larger slow cooker, combine the rinsed and drained split peas, meaty ham bone or diced ham, chopped onion, minced garlic, carrots, celery, bay leaf, and season with salt and pepper.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours until the split peas are tender and the flavors meld together.
If using a ham bone, carefully remove it from the slow cooker. Shred the ham into bite-size pieces, then return it to the slow cooker and stir well to combine. Discard the bone.
Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper, if desired.
Remove the bay leaf before serving the soup, allowing the aroma to captivate your senses. Ladle the warm and comforting Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup into bowls and savor every spoonful.
- To enhance the flavors, feel free to add other seasonings such as thyme, rosemary, or a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- This soup freezes well, making it a perfect choice for meal prep. Store leftovers in airtight containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
- For a vegetarian version, omit the ham bone or diced ham and use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
As you reach the end of this culinary journey, we hope that the allure of our Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup has captured your imagination and taste buds. With its comforting flavors, wholesome ingredients, and the convenience of the slow cooker, this recipe is a gateway to a heartwarming experience for you and your loved ones.
Imagine the satisfaction of ladling a bowlful of velvety split pea soup, inhaling the irresistible aroma, and savoring each spoonful as it nourishes your body and soul. Whether you’re seeking a cozy family dinner, a delightful lunch, or a comforting meal on a chilly evening, this recipe will never disappoint.
Allow yourself to be transported to a realm of comfort and nostalgia, where the love and care put into preparing this soup resonates with every bite. It’s a dish that carries not just flavors but also stories, like the way it has become a cherished tradition in our own household, uniting us and creating memories that we hold dear.
So, go ahead, gather your ingredients, set up your slow cooker, and let the magic unfold. Embrace the warmth, the flavors, and the nourishment that our Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup offers. It’s an invitation to create your own delightful story—one that will be shared and cherished for years to come.
Indulge in this classic recipe, and discover the joy of a simple bowl of soup that has the power to comfort, heal, and bring people together. May it become a staple in your home, just as it has in ours.
Happy cooking and heartfelt eating!
Can I use canned split peas instead of dry split peas?
While you could use canned split peas, the texture and flavor may differ slightly. Dry split peas tend to hold their shape better and provide a heartier consistency to the soup.
Can I substitute the ham with another protein?
Absolutely! If you prefer a different protein, you can substitute the ham with cooked bacon, smoked turkey, or even smoked sausage. Adjust the seasoning accordingly to complement your chosen protein.
Can I make this recipe on the stovetop instead of using a slow cooker?
Yes, you can adapt this recipe for stovetop cooking. Simply follow the same ingredient list and sauté the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery in a large pot until softened. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 1-2 hours, or until the split peas are tender.
Can I use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock?
Absolutely! If you prefer a vegetarian version, you can use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. The flavors will still meld beautifully, and you’ll have a delicious meat-free option.
Can I add additional vegetables to the soup?
Definitely! This recipe serves as a great base, and you can experiment by adding other vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, or even kale. Just be mindful of the cooking time and adjust accordingly.
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- 1 pound 454 grams dry split peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 meaty ham bone OR 2 cups 340 grams diced ham
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 cups 1.4-1.9 liters chicken stock or water
- In a 5-quart or larger slow cooker, combine the rinsed and drained split peas, meaty ham bone or diced ham, chopped onion, minced garlic, carrots, celery, bay leaf, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours until the split peas are tender and the flavors meld together.
- If using a ham bone, carefully remove it from the slow cooker. Shred the ham into bite-size pieces, then return it to the slow cooker and stir well to combine. Discard the bone.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving the soup, allowing the aroma to captivate your senses. Ladle the warm and comforting Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup into bowls and savor every spoonful.