This keto meatball casserole is the perfect family dinner with juicy flavorful meatballs that are baked until golden. The meatballs are clothed in tomato sauce and tons of cheese! This low-carb meal is always a huge hit at our family dinner. A must low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, and a THM S recipe!
This keto meatball casserole is crazy good, I will never get sick of them! Pair this meatball casserole with a side salad, veggies, or your other main low-carb pasta favorites like palm noodles or zoodles.
What You Need To Make this Meatball Casserole
Ground Meat: I use ground turkey. Ground beef, ground pork, or ground chicken are great substitutes.
Ground Sausage: My favorite is sweet Italian sausage, but you are welcome to use hot Italian sausage or a combination of both. Closely watch the added sugar in the sausage if making low-carb or keto.
Egg: This is the binder, along with the grated Parmesan cheese.
Shredded Zucchini: This adds a ton of moisture to the meatballs.
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese: If desired, use a blend of Italian cheese.
Keto Marinara Sauce: Use homemade or any tomato sauce without added sugar.
Spices: In this recipe, I prefer to use dried onion, garlic, and basil. Instead of basil, you can use Italian seasoning.
Salt & Pepper
How To Make Meatball Casserole
Step 1: Using your hand, combine all the ingredients.
Step 2: Scoop and shape the meatballs. You should be able to make 24 meatballs. Bake the meatballs until almost cooked and the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees (using a meat thermometer).
Step 3: On top, add the sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Bake further until the meatballs are cooked through. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes for the best golden brown cheese on top.
What to use to form the meatballs?
I use a large cookie scoop to scoop and shape the meatballs.
Is it necessary to use zucchini in the Keto Meatball Casserole?
This is my way to sneak veggies into the meatballs. You can use other veggies like chopped spinach. Or leave out the green stuff and simply serve these meatballs with green beans, roasted broccoli, or Caesar salad.
Can Keto Meatballs Be Frozen?
Yes! These keto meatballs freeze well! I usually throw together a big batch and freeze them for later. Before using, thaw the frozen meatballs. Once thawed, transfer the meatballs into a baking dish, cover with sauce, and sprinkle with cheese. Then, bake until done.
Flavorful Keto Meatball Casserole
- 1 egg
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 shredded zucchini about 1 c.
- 2 tsp dried minced onion
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella
- ⅓ c. grated or shredded Parmesan
- 2 tsp dried minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 8 ounces shredded cheese in this recipe, I used a two-cheese pizza blend of mozzarella and provolone
- 1 c. marinara sauce
- Set the oven to 400 degrees. Using cooking spray, grease a casserole dish and set it aside.
- Mix the meatball ingredients until just combined. Shape the mixture into balls to make about 24 meatballs. Arrange the meatballs into the prepared casserole dish.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. When done, drain the cooking liquid from the casserole dish.
- Over the meatballs, pour the sauce and sprinkle with the cheese. Continue baking for another 10 to 15 minutes to melt the cheese.
- To toast the cheese, you can broil the casserole for 3 to 4 minutes if desired.