Easy Tex-Mex Casserole – This Easy Tex-Mex Casserole is a dish that’s perfect for those busy weeknights when you want something delicious and filling but don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen. With a blend of flavorful spices, ground beef, and veggies, this casserole packs a punch in both flavor and nutrition. The cornbread topping is the perfect complement to the savory filling, making this casserole a well-rounded, one-dish meal that will quickly become a favorite in your household.
Whenever my husband comes home from a long day at work, this Easy Tex-Mex Casserole is the first thing he asks for. It’s become a staple in our household because it’s so easy to make, and we can enjoy a flavorful and filling meal without spending hours in the kitchen. I love how the combination of ground beef, veggies, and spices creates a symphony of flavors that never fails to impress. And the cornbread topping is the perfect touch, adding a bit of sweetness to balance out the savory filling. This dish is truly a family favorite that we can’t get enough of.
Why This Easy Tex-Mex Casserole Is the Perfect Weeknight Meal?
- This casserole is a complete, one-dish meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights.
- It’s loaded with flavorful spices, veggies, and protein-rich ground beef.
- The cornbread topping adds a perfect touch of sweetness to balance out the savory filling.
- The recipe is easy to follow, making it a great option for beginner cooks or those short on time.
- 1 pound (454 g) ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (240 g) salsa (I used a corn and black bean salsa)
- 1 (15.25 ounce/432 g) can corn, drained
- 1 (8 ounce/227 g) cornbread mix
Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
In a skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, bell pepper, cumin, and salt until the beef is cooked through and the onions are translucent.
Add the salsa and corn to the beef mixture and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Pour the mixture into a 9×9 inch (23×23 cm) casserole dish.
Prepare the cornbread mix according to package directions and spread it on top of the beef mixture.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cornbread is cooked through and golden on top.
- You can customize this recipe by using different types of ground meat such as turkey or chicken.
- If you prefer a spicier casserole, you can use a hot salsa or add some chopped jalapenos.
- You can also add some shredded cheese on top of the cornbread batter before baking for an extra cheesy casserole.
In conclusion, the Easy Tex Mex Casserole is a simple yet delicious meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. With its flavorful combination of ground beef, vegetables, and cornbread, this casserole is sure to please everyone at the dinner table. The best part is that it can be easily customized to suit your taste preferences, whether you prefer it spicy, cheesy, or vegetarian. So why not give this recipe a try and see for yourself how easy and tasty Tex-Mex cooking can be?
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes! You can prepare the ground beef mixture and the cornbread batter separately up to a day in advance. Store them separately in the fridge, then assemble and bake before serving.
Can I use a different type of meat?
Absolutely! You can use ground turkey, chicken, pork or even a vegetarian meat substitute in this recipe.
What type of salsa should I use?
You can use any type of salsa that you like, whether it’s mild, medium or hot. You can also try different flavors such as chipotle, pineapple or mango salsa for a different twist.
Can I freeze leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze this casserole for up to 3 months. Make sure to store it in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. To reheat, let it thaw in the fridge overnight, then bake in the oven at 350°F until heated through.
Easy Tex-Mex Casserole
- 1 pound 454 g ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 240 g salsa (I used a corn and black bean salsa)
- 1 15.25 ounce/432 g can corn, drained
- 1 8 ounce/227 g cornbread mix
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- In a skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, bell pepper, cumin, and salt until the beef is cooked through and the onions are translucent.
- Add the salsa and corn to the beef mixture and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x9 inch (23x23 cm) casserole dish.
- Prepare the cornbread mix according to package directions and spread it on top of the beef mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cornbread is cooked through and golden on top.
- Serve immediately.