Tex-Mex Casserole – This Easy Tex-Mex Casserole is a hearty and delicious dish that’s perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a family gathering. With its bold flavors and simple preparation, this casserole will quickly become a staple in your household. The combination of ground beef, corn, black beans, and salsa creates a satisfying, protein-packed meal that’s sure to please everyone at the table.
I can still remember the first time I made this Easy Tex-Mex Casserole for my family. My husband was skeptical at first, but after just one bite, he was hooked. Since then, this recipe has become a go-to in our household. We love the spicy, savory flavors of the ground beef and salsa mixed with the sweet cornbread topping. It’s a dish that’s perfect for a cozy night in or for serving to a crowd. I’ve even brought it to potlucks and it’s always a hit.
Why This Easy Tex-Mex Casserole is a Must-Try?
If you’re a fan of bold flavors and hearty meals, then this Easy Tex-Mex Casserole is the perfect dish for you. Here are a few reasons why you should give it a try:
- Quick and easy preparation: This casserole comes together in just a few simple steps, making it a great option for a busy weeknight meal.
- Bold flavors: The combination of ground beef, salsa, and spices creates a savory and slightly spicy flavor that’s sure to satisfy your taste buds.
- Versatile: You can customize this recipe to your liking by using different types of salsa or adding in additional ingredients like black beans, diced tomatoes, or jalapenos.
- Perfect for feeding a crowd: This casserole can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a large group of people. It’s a great option for potlucks or family gatherings.
- 1 lb. ground beef (454 g)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup salsa (I used a corn and black bean salsa – hence the black beans in the photos)
- 1 can corn (15.25 oz./432 g), drained
- 1 package cornbread mix (8 oz./227 g)
Preheat your oven to 400F (200C).
In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, bell pepper, cumin, and salt over medium-high heat until the beef is cooked through and the onions are translucent.
Add the salsa and corn to the skillet and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Pour the beef mixture into a 9×9 inch (23×23 cm) casserole dish.
Prepare the cornbread mix according to the package instructions and spread it evenly on top of the beef mixture.
Bake the casserole for 20-25 minutes, or until the cornbread is cooked through and golden brown on top.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
- You can customize this recipe to your liking by using your favorite salsa, vegetables, or spices.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, you can substitute the ground beef with a vegetarian ground beef alternative or with diced mushrooms.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the oven or microwave.
In conclusion, this Easy Tex Mex Casserole is a delicious and satisfying meal that can be made in under an hour. It’s a great way to use up leftover ground beef and vegetables, and it’s customizable to your taste preferences. With its flavorful combination of ground beef, spices, corn, and salsa, this casserole is sure to become a family favorite. Plus, it’s easy to make ahead of time and freezes well, making it a convenient meal for busy weeknights. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the delicious flavors of Tex Mex in a comforting casserole.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble the casserole ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking. When you’re ready to bake, simply take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
Can I freeze this recipe?
Yes, you can freeze this casserole for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw the casserole in the fridge overnight and bake in the oven at 350°F until heated through.
What can I serve with this casserole?
This casserole is a complete meal on its own, but you can serve it with a side salad or some tortilla chips for some extra crunch.
Can I use a different type of meat?
Yes, you can use ground chicken or turkey instead of ground beef, or even diced chicken or turkey breast. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly as different types of meat may require different cooking times.
Can I make this recipe without corn bread mix?
Yes, you can omit the corn bread mix or substitute it with shredded cheese or crushed tortilla chips.
- 1 lb. ground beef 454 g
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup salsa I used a corn and black bean salsa - hence the black beans in the photos
- 1 can corn 15.25 oz./432 g, drained
- 1 package cornbread mix 8 oz./227 g
- Preheat your oven to 400F (200C).
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, bell pepper, cumin, and salt over medium-high heat until the beef is cooked through and the onions are translucent.
- Add the salsa and corn to the skillet and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Pour the beef mixture into a 9x9 inch (23x23 cm) casserole dish.
- Prepare the cornbread mix according to the package instructions and spread it evenly on top of the beef mixture.
- Bake the casserole for 20-25 minutes, or until the cornbread is cooked through and golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!