Super easy to make with canned soup or homemade cream of mushroom. This delicious chicken noodle casserole makes an amazing make-ahead and freezer meal!
This casserole is a classic comforting food! It’s a simple casserole with no fancy ingredients and can easily be modifiable. In this recipe, you are welcome to use carrots and peas in place of the broccoli. Or leftover rotisserie chicken instead of cooked chicken. You can also play around with different varieties of cheese options!
Ingredients You Need To Make This Chicken Noodle Casserole
Rotini: My go-to to make this casserole as they hold their shape and grip the sauce very well.
Chicken: In this recipe, I used cooked fresh chicken. But you are also welcome to use 2 cups of rotisserie or leftover chicken instead.
Seasonings: Italian Seasoning, Garlic Salt, and Pepper.
Olive Oil: Or use vegetable or canola oil.
Cream of Mushroom Soup: Canned or homemade.
Milk: Use any kind
Cheese: For the sauce, use sharp white cheddar and regular cheddar for the top
French’s Crispy Fried Onions
How To Make Chicken Noodle Casserole
Step 1: In a large pot with olive oil, add the seasoned chicken and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Toss, then add the broccoli. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Then, take the pot off the heat.
Step 2: To the pot, add the sour cream, milk, cream of mushroom soup, and sharp white cheddar. Toss well to coat the chicken and broccoli.
Step 3: In the meantime, cook the pasta a minute less than what’s on the package. Drain when done, and add the pasta to the pot. Toss using a silicone spatula until well combined.
Step 4: If using a non-oven safe pot, simply transfer everything to a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. On top, sprinkle the regular cheddar cheese. Cover the pot and bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees. Uncover and top the casserole with crispy fried onions. Bake for another 8 minutes.
Step 5: Serve the casserole with garlic bread with cheese.
Can I use frozen instead of fresh broccoli?
- Yes! Use 2 c. frozen broccoli and/or cauliflower. Thaw and pat them dry.
- If you prefer your broccoli on the softer side, you can blanch them before mixing it in the casserole. But it’s not necessary.
- You are also welcome to use frozen peas, green beans, or carrots. Before baking, thaw them. Or just increase the baking time by 5 to 7 minutes if baking from their frozen state.
How To Make This Casserole Ahead?
Assemble the recipe as directed and allow it to cool completely. Tent the casserole and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days. To the baking time, add 15 minutes and bake covered.
How To Store?
In an airtight container, place any leftovers and keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 c. diced chicken about 2 small chicken breasts
- 3/4 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 c. broccoli florets
- 10.5 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup or use cream of chicken
- 3 c. dry Rotini
- 8 ounces sour cream equal to one cup
- 1/2 c. milk any kind
- 1 c. French’s crispy fried onions
- 2 c. sharp white cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 c. regular cheddar shredded
- Set the oven to 375 degrees.
- In the meantime, season the chicken with a tsp Italian seasoning, 3/4 tsp garlic salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Sear the chicken in 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes.
- Stir the chicken and toss in the broccoli. Continue to cook for additional 3 to 4 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked. Take the pot off the heat.
- Cook the rotini a minute less than al dente.
- To the chicken and broccoli, add the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, milk, and 2 c. sharp white cheddar. Stir well.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta. Gently mix using a silicone spatula.
- You can transfer the mixture to a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch casserole dish if not using an oven-safe pot.
- On top, sprinkle a cup of regular cheddar. Put the lid on and bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
- Uncover and top the casserole with crispy fried onions. Bake for additional 8 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve the casserole right away with garlic bread with cheese. Enjoy!