Filling and hearty, this simple keto cheeseburger casserole is an amazing low-carb option for a cheeseburger.
Super delicious and versatile. This recipe has been my favorite for years! Not only that this is keto-friendly, but you can easily change the spices and add veggies to your liking. To make this casserole, the ingredients you need are pretty straightforward.
What You Need To Make This Cheeseburger Casserole
- Extra-lean ground beef
- Coarse kosher salt (NOT fine salt)
- Avocado oil mayonnaise
- Black pepper
- Olive oil spray
- Unsweetened ketchup
- Medium onion
- Shredded sharp cheddar
- Olive oil
How To Make Cheeseburger Casserole
Step 1: Sauté the onions and beef in olive oil for about 5 minutes, stirring to break the beef until browned and the onions are translucent. Drain the mix if there are fluids in the bottom of the skillet, then place the mix back into the skillet.
Step 2: To the beef and onion mix, add the black pepper, garlic, and kosher salt. Continue to cook while stirring for a couple of minutes more.
Step 3: Turn the heat off, then mix in the unsweetened ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, and 1 c. cheddar.
Step 4: Into a greased 2-quart baking dish, transfer the mixture and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
Step 5: Place in a preheated 400 degrees F oven and bake for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and the casserole is heated through. Or if using a broiler-safe baking dish, you can broil the casserole 6 inches below the heating element until the cheese has melted.
How to keep leftovers and reheat them?
Place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
To reheat, place in the microwave on 50% power.
- 2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped (about 6 ounces)
- ¼ cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ c. unsweetened ketchup
- 1 ½ c. shredded sharp cheddar divided (about 6 ounces)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt not fine salt
- olive oil spray for the baking dish
- Set the oven to 400 degrees F. Using olive oil, grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet on medium-high, heat the olive oil for about 2 minutes. Once hot, add the onions and beef.
- Cook while breaking the beef into chunks until browned and the onion is tender. This takes about 5 minutes. Drain the fluids from the bottom of the skillet and return the mix to the skillet.
- Next, add the black pepper, garlic, and kosher salt. Stir well, then cook for a couple of minutes more.
- When done, turn the heat off. Then, stir in the unsweetened ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, and 1 c. cheddar.
- Into the greased baking dish, transfer the mixture, and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes until the cheese has melted, and the casserole is heated through. Alternately, you can broil for 1 to 2 minutes (if using a broiler-safe baking dish) about 6 inches below the heating element until the cheese has melted.