This dessert combines two of my favorites – Boston cream pie and poke cake. A fantastic dessert filled with vanilla pudding and topped with chocolate ganache.
Everyone is raving about this Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake. This cake is super moist with a surprise in the middle! A dessert that is incredibly easy to whip up using just a couple of ingredients. This cake is infused with vanilla pudding and covered with a delightful chocolate ganache. Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake is cake perfect for any occasion!
What You Need To Make This Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake
- Yellow cake mix (plus the ingredients written on the package)
- Instant vanilla pudding
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
- Heavy cream
How To Make Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake
Step 1: According to the package instructions, prepare the yellow cake in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Then, allow the cake to cool completely.
Step 2: With the end of a wooden spoon, poke holes over the cooled cake.
Step 3: In the meantime, whisk the instant pudding, milk, and vanilla extract. Then, evenly pour this over the cake.
Step 4: Chill the cake in the fridge for about an hour.
Step 5: In a heatproof bowl, place chocolate chips.
Step 6: Microwave the cream or heat on the stovetop over low heat. Once hot, pour this over the chocolates. Let it sit for 5 minutes before stirring until smooth. Allow this to cool for about 10 minutes.
Step 7: Over the cake, pour the chocolate and smooth it out using a spatula.
Step 8: Let the cake chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours to set (or overnight).
Can I use other cake mixes to make this cake?
I used a yellow cake mix, although, a white cake mix would work well.
Can I use a ready-made tub of chocolate frosting instead?
Absolutely! But I prefer to make the chocolate ganache.
How to serve?
This Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake is excellent for any special occasion or no occasion at all. This is the perfect choice for a weeknight dessert as this is simple to make. Also, great to bring to potlucks. I love to serve a slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake - A fantastic dessert!
- 2 boxes of instant vanilla pudding 3.4 ounces
- 1 box yellow cake mix plus ingredients called for on the package
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 c. milk
- 1 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 12 ounces bag of chocolate chips
- Following the package instructions, prepare the yellow cake in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Once baked, allow the cake to cool completely.
- Poke holes all over the cooled cake using the end of a wooden spoon.
- Place the instant pudding, milk, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Mix well until combined, then evenly pour this over the cake. Let the cake chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- For the chocolate ganache, add the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl. Meanwhile, heat the cream in the microwave or stovetop over low heat. Once simmering, pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let this sit for about 5 minutes before stirring until smooth. Set this aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Then, evenly pour this on top of the cake, smoothing using a spatula.
- Place the cake in the fridge to chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Once the cake is set, slice and serve.