Peppermint Meringues – Indulge in the ethereal delight of Peppermint Meringues, a recipe that will transport you to a winter wonderland with every bite. These delicate, melt-in-your-mouth treats combine the lightness of meringue with the refreshing burst of peppermint. Perfect for holiday gatherings or any time you crave a touch of sweetness, these Peppermint Meringues are a delightful treat that will leave you craving more. Get ready to embark on a journey of flavors that will captivate your senses and bring joy to your loved ones.
Picture this: It’s a cozy winter evening, and the air is filled with the sweet aroma of holiday baking. The kitchen is a flurry of activity as my husband, John, and I gather around to create our favorite holiday treats. Among the many recipes, there’s one that holds a special place in our hearts – Peppermint Meringues.
Ever since we discovered this recipe, it has become a beloved tradition in our little family. Making these meringues together has become a bonding experience, filled with laughter, love, and anticipation. As we beat the egg whites into a foamy frenzy and sprinkle in the magical combination of salt and cream of tartar, we can already feel the excitement building.
The addition of sugar gradually turns the mixture into glossy peaks that hold promises of a sweet sensation. With each dollop of meringue lovingly placed on the baking sheet, we eagerly sprinkle crushed peppermint candy canes on top, infusing each meringue with a touch of festive cheer.
As the oven door closes, our anticipation grows. We eagerly wait for the meringues to bake to perfection, their delicate shells becoming crisp and airy. Once they emerge, the aroma fills the kitchen, and we can barely contain our excitement. But patience is key, for these beauties must cool in the oven, allowing the flavors to meld and the texture to achieve its signature lightness.
When it’s finally time to savor the fruits of our labor, we gather around the table, and with the first bite, we are transported to a magical place. The meringues melt in our mouths, releasing the subtle sweetness of sugar and the invigorating essence of peppermint. It’s a moment of pure bliss that we eagerly share with loved ones, creating memories that last a lifetime.
Why This Recipe Will Captivate You?
Discover the enchantment of Peppermint Meringues, where delicate meringue clouds meet the irresistible allure of crushed peppermint candy canes. These treats are a true delight for the senses, with a light and airy texture that dissolves effortlessly, leaving behind the invigorating taste of peppermint. Made with just a handful of ingredients, including the finest egg whites, a hint of salt, and a touch of cream of tartar, these meringues are both simple and elegant. Whether you’re looking for a festive holiday treat or a delightful year-round indulgence, these Peppermint Meringues are sure to captivate your taste buds and leave you craving for more.
- 2 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- 2 peppermint candy canes, crushed
Preheat your oven to 225°F (110°C). Line a baking sheet with foil, leaving it ungreased.
In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they become foamy.
Sprinkle in the salt and cream of tartar, and continue beating until soft peaks form.
Gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. This process should take about 7-8 minutes.
Using a teaspoon, drop small dollops of the meringue mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
Sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the meringues, adding a touch of festive flair.
Bake the meringues in the preheated oven for approximately 90 minutes (1 and a half hours). The meringues should become firm and lightly golden.
Once the baking time is complete, turn off the oven heat and leave the meringues inside with the oven door slightly ajar. Allow them to cool for at least an hour, or until they reach room temperature.
Store the Peppermint Meringues in an airtight container to preserve their delicate texture and flavors.
- For a twist, you can add a hint of vanilla extract to the meringue mixture, adding an extra layer of flavor.
- These meringues make for wonderful gifts or party treats when placed in decorative boxes or jars.
- Ensure that your bowl and beaters are completely clean and free from any grease, as this will affect the stability of the meringue.
- Experiment with different peppermint flavors, such as using peppermint extract or crushed peppermint candies of varying intensities.
In conclusion, Peppermint Meringues are a delightful treat that combines the lightness of meringue with the invigorating flavors of peppermint. With their airy texture, melt-in-your-mouth sensation, and festive appeal, these meringues are sure to be a hit among family and friends. Whether you’re looking to add a touch of sweetness to your holiday gatherings or simply craving a delightful treat, Peppermint Meringues are a perfect choice. Give this recipe a try and experience the magic of these ethereal delights that will transport you to a world of flavor and joy. So go ahead, whip up a batch of Peppermint Meringues and indulge in a blissful moment of sweetness that will leave you with cherished memories and a craving for more.
Can I make these meringues ahead of time?
Absolutely! Peppermint Meringues store well in an airtight container, and their delicate texture can last for several days, making them a perfect make-ahead treat.
Can I substitute the peppermint candy canes with something else?
While the crushed peppermint candy canes contribute to the festive flavor and texture, you can experiment with other toppings. Consider using crushed peppermint candies, peppermint extract, or even a dusting of cocoa powder for a different twist.
Can I freeze the Peppermint Meringues?
Freezing meringues can affect their texture and cause them to become sticky. It’s best to enjoy them fresh or store them in an airtight container at room temperature for optimal results.
How long do these meringues stay fresh?
When stored properly in an airtight container, Peppermint Meringues can stay fresh for up to a week. However, it’s unlikely they’ll last that long once you experience their irresistible flavor!
Can I use a different type of sugar?
While granulated sugar works best for achieving the desired texture, you can experiment with other types of sugar, such as superfine sugar or caster sugar. Just keep in mind that the texture and sweetness might vary slightly.
Can I double the recipe?
Absolutely! If you need a larger batch of Peppermint Meringues, feel free to double or even triple the recipe. Adjust the baking time accordingly, keeping an eye on their color and firmness as they bake.
- 2 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup 100g sugar
- 2 peppermint candy canes crushed
- Preheat your oven to 225°F (110°C). Line a baking sheet with foil, leaving it ungreased.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they become foamy.
- Sprinkle in the salt and cream of tartar, and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. This process should take about 7-8 minutes.
- Using a teaspoon, drop small dollops of the meringue mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the meringues, adding a touch of festive flair.
- Bake the meringues in the preheated oven for approximately 90 minutes (1 and a half hours). The meringues should become firm and lightly golden.
- Once the baking time is complete, turn off the oven heat and leave the meringues inside with the oven door slightly ajar. Allow them to cool for at least an hour, or until they reach room temperature.
- Store the Peppermint Meringues in an airtight container to preserve their delicate texture and flavors.