This is a hassle-free casserole with all the veggies and cheesy goodness you could ever ask for!
This is not your typical high-calorie casserole. Matter of fact, this is a slimmed-down vegetarian version loaded with fresh and healthy ingredients. This casserole easily comes together in an hour to make that incredibly delicious main meal that doubles as a side dish. This baked zucchini, spinach, and feta casserole offer the warmth and comfort of summer that is perfect to enjoy any day of the year.
What You Need To Make This Baked Zucchini, Spinach, and Feta Casserole
- Olive oil
- Baby spinach
- Yellow squash
- Feta cheese crumbles – fat-free
- Parmesan cheese low-fat
- Whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- Egg whites
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Ground black pepper
- Dried basil leaves
How To Make Baked Zucchini, Spinach, and Feta Casserole
Step 1: Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
Step 2: In a large skillet, heat some oil. Then, add the spinach along with the zucchini and yellow squash. Cook for about 5 minutes until the squash is tender and the spinach has wilted. Once done, drain the excess liquid and transfer the veggies to a large mixing bowl.
Step 3: To the mixing bowl with the veggies mixture, add the feta, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, egg whites, garlic powder, dried basil leaves, and salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients, then spread the mixture in a casserole dish in an even layer.
Step 4: Bake the casserole for 30 to 40 minutes at 400 degrees until the top is golden brown. Before serving, allow the casserole to cool for a couple of minutes.
Deliciously healthy with cheesy goodness
Get a hearty dose of veggies in this casserole while enjoying all the cheesy goodness you are looking for in a casserole.
Spinach and zucchini are the main stars of this casserole. They have a boatload of nutrients. Add the fat-free feta and low-fat Parmesan and you just hit the jackpot!
How to serve this Baked Zucchini, Spinach, and Feta Casserole?
This casserole is an excellent main dish or side dish. To round up your meal, serve this with chicken breast, meatballs, or turkey.
Baked Zucchini, Spinach, and Feta Casserole
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 zucchini small diced small
- 3 c. baby spinach
- 2 yellow squash small, diced small OR 2 more zucchini if yellow squash as an alternative to squash
- 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese low-fat grated
- 1/4 c. feta cheese crumbles fat-free
- 1/4 c. whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Set the oven to 400 degrees. Using a non-stick spray, grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Then, add the spinach, zucchini, and yellow squash. Saute for about 5 minutes until the spinach has wilted and the squash is tender. Drain the excess liquid before transferring the veggies to a large mixing bowl.
- To the mixing bowl with the spinach mixture, add the rest of the ingredients. Toss well, then transfer to the prepared casserole dish, evenly spreading the mixture out.
- Bake the casserole for 30 to 40 minutes at 400 degrees until golden brown on top. Before serving, allow the casserole to cool a bit.